Relative Visa

    This visa enables people to go to Australia to care for their relatives who need assistance due to chronic or lifelong medical issues. Whether the applicant is inside or outside when the application is submitted, and when the visa is granted, are the differences between subclasses 116 and 836. Subclass 116 (Carer) visa is offshore.


    • The applicant can stay in Australia indefinitely.
    • You can work and study in Australia.
    • You can enroll in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare.
    • You can sponsor your relatives to come to Australia.
    • You can travel to and from Australia for 5 years.
    • You can apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.


    • You must be outside Australia when you apply and when we decide your application.
    • You must be sponsored by your relative or their partner for your first 2 years in Australia.
    • You must provide care for a relative, or a member of their family who lives with them, who has no reasonable access to care options in Australia.

    Who can be the Sponsor?

    The long-term or permanent medical condition of your sponsor (family) or their spouse must necessitate substantial continuous care and support.

    You need a sponsor who:

    • at least 18 years old.
    • a citizen of Australia, a permanent resident, or a qualifying New Zealander.

    The sponsor must comply with the standards listed below:

    • unable to receive the care they require from another Australian source, such as a relative, an Australian welfare, hospital nursing, or community service.
    • Been evaluated by Bupa Medical Visa Services or be in the process of scheduling an evaluation to get a medical certificate declaring that the sponsor or the sponsor’s partner has a medical condition that:
    • causes impairment of the body, mind, or senses.
    • means that for at least two years, the sponsor or partner will require assistance with practical matters of everyday living.
    • have committed to offering the applicant and any members of their family lodging and support for the first two years they reside in Australia.

    Start your application and Book your free consultation to assess your eligibility for subclass 116 (Carer) visa.